About Lawyers for Learning
The Lawyers for Learning Committee administers our volunteer program in partnership with Adlai E. Stevenson School 29, and also plans special events and provides funding for materials and activities that benefit the students. For over 25 years, lawyers and other legal professionals have donated their time to support the elementary school students and teachers at School 29. The school is located at 88 Kirkland Road, about a five-minute drive from downtown Rochester.
Did you know that Rochester has the highest child poverty rate among similarly-sized cities, with more than half of its children living below the poverty line? Join Lawyers for Learning in making a difference in the lives of Rochester’s children. Volunteer opportunities include:
- Meeting one-on-one with a student
- Assisting a teacher in the classroom
- Helping out on an as-needed basis with one-time activities and events
You don’t need any special skills or training to become a volunteer, and the children are so appreciative of your time! Short on time? Consider splitting your volunteer time with another legal professional, working periodically with a teacher in his or her classroom, helping out at a special event such as our annual backpack distribution or joining the Lawyers for Learning Committee of the MCBA, which meets monthly on third Tuesdays.
During the 2018-2019 school year, the Lawyers for Learning Committee funded and/or coordinated the following activities for the benefit of the students:
- Distributed backpacks filled with supplies donated by LeClairRyan and Thomson Reuters
- Funded an overnight camping experience to the Rochester Rotary Sunshine Campus in Rush
- Gifted t-shirts to every student
- Gave away Scholastic books to every student
- Funded $4,000 in grants for teachers to use in the classroom
- Funded a field trip for students to attend a performance of The Very Hungrey Caterpillar at Nazareth College
- Threw a kick-off event at the Native Eatery and Bar to thank teachers and volunteers for the program
- Took students and their mentors to an end-of-year field trip to Wild Wings in Mendon Ponds Park
- Funded yoga classes in classrooms with Peacefull Kids
- Partnered with LawNY to provide legal outreach to families
- Organized an author visit with Susannah Burman-Deerer
Thank you to our sponsors for making these programs possible!
Our Lawyers for Learning Prgram was featured on the "Extraordinary People" segment on News 8 WROC Rochester.